RVers Have Many Sources of Information

Page 2 of 2   |  
Article Menu

Anyone who owns a recreational vehicle or is thinking of buying one can benefit from a variety of RV-oriented organizations and publications.

The best overall source of information about RVing is available from the Recreational Vehicle Association, P.O. Box 2999, Reston, VA 22195. Another valuable source is the RV Coalition, which sends out a free 15-minute introductory home video about RVing. To get it, call 1-888-GO-RVING.

Two magazines, Trailer Life and Motorhome, offer valuable travel and how-to information, and are available on many large newsstands. As its name implies, Motorhome is directed at motorhome owners, while Trailer Life covers all types of RVs including truck campers and travel trailers.

The Good Sam Club is the largest RVing group in the world. The club holds regular get-togethers, and members are eligible for special insurance rates, towing services, discounts at thousands of campgrounds, and a newsy magazine, Highways. The address is 2575 Vista Del Mar Drive, Ventura, CA  93001. For more information, call Member Services at 1-800-234-3450 or visit the Web site: www.goodsamclub.com.

Family Motor Coach Association is a national organization of motorhome owners. The group holds regular rallies and publishes a thick magazine that surpasses even Trailer Life in travel features and information. FMCA's address is 8291 Clough Pike Road, Cincinnati, OH 45244.

RVers who spend most or all of their time on the road can join the Escapees, a national club of mostly full-time RVers. This friendly group has frequent get-togethers, an excellent newsletter, and low-cost, member-owned campgrounds. For information, write the Escapees at 100 Rainbow Drive, Livingston, TX 77351 or call 1-888-757-2582.

Single RVers also have a group, Loners on Wheels. Like the Escapees, this club holds regular get-togethers and publishes an excellent newsletter. The address is P.O. Box 1355, Poplar Bluff, MO 63901.

Active-duty or retired military travelers can take advantage of about 200 FamCamps, which are located in the recreational areas of military bases. Amenities vary, but many include at least water and electricity. A newsletter with updated information is published six times a year by Military Living Publications, Box 2347, Falls Church, VA 22042.

RVers and other "road" travelers would enjoy Chuck Woodbury's quarterly "on-the road" newspaper Out West. Woodbury roams the West by motorhome, writing about what he finds along the way. Out West is an especially valuable resource for learning what's along the back roads of the rural West and about living on the road. A subscription is available for $12.95 a year from 9792 Edmonds Way, Suite 265, Edmonds, WA 98020, or by calling 1-800-274-9378.

RVers who would like to supplement their income while traveling will find valuable information in Workamper News, billed as "America's guide to working while camping." The address is 201 Hiram Road, HCR 34, Box 125, Heber Springs, AR 72543.

Washington State's largest recreational vehicle dealer, Poulsbo RV, offers a free subscription to its six-times-a-year tabloid RV magazine the Poulsbo RVer. To get a copy, send your name and address to the Poulsbo RVer, 9792 Edmonds Way, Suite 265-C, Edmonds, WA 98020.

RVing Women is a support group "to communicate, share information and link up for traveling together." The group of 2,000 women holds regular rallies and publishes a fine newsletter. For information, write to P.O. Box 1940, Apache Junction, AZ 85219.

These are just a few resources for RVers. Information about other groups and organizations is often available at RV dealers and RV supply stores.

Story provided by Out West.

Published: 28 Apr 2002 | Last Updated: 8 Nov 2010
Details mentioned in this article were accurate at the time of publication
Page 2 of 2


Sign up to Away's Travel Insider

Preview newsletter »