Getting Cozy in the Catskills
|ROOM FOR TWO: The northern escarpment of the Catskills (courtesy, New York State Tourism)|
From trout fishing to golf to hiking, couples will revel in Sullivan County's endless parks, trails, and streams. Raft, canoe, and tube trips on the Upper Delaware River are a blast for thrill-seeking sweethearts. On a kayak built for two, paddlers can ply the rapids in synch or float lazily down the water, admiring the rolling hills and quaint villages that dot the lush countryside.
Following the gentle curve of the Delaware River in a kayak, the reflection of gold- and crimson-tipped trees makes it almost impossible to discern where the water begins and forest ends.
* Just a fishing line's length from brown trout haven Beaverkill River, Beaverkill Valley Inn (845.439.4844) surveys some of the finest river, garden, and valley vistas in Catskill State Park. Enjoy afternoon tea served in the reading room after a friendly game of pool, ping-pong, or tennis with your better half.
* Shaded by 60 wooded acres, the five sunlit roomseach with private baths and pillow-top mattressesoverlook the river valley and neighboring mountains that flank the award-winning ECCE Bed & Breakfast (845.557.8562). Each unit has a mini-fridge, too, should you decide to sneak a plate of stuffed French toast (part of a complimentary country breakfast) back to your room.
* A night beneath the stars at Kittatinny Northeast Campsites (845.557.8611) is one you both are sure to remember. Pitch your tent at any of 350 wooded or open-grass sites along the Delaware River, where canoe, kayak, and raft trips can span an afternoon or a weekend.
* To unpack a spread that'll make the locals jealous hit Catskill Harvest Market (845.747.4117), a gourmet grocery and farmer's market. Artisanal cheese, bread, preserves, meat, and farm-fresh produce stock the stands. Sample your goodies at a table for two in the newly built dining area, complete with wireless Internet and a charming wood stove.
* Eldred Preserve (845.557.8316) serves up some of the freshest and most deliciously prepared troutstuffed with Alaskan crabmeat, pan-fried and drizzled with wine sauce, and every other imaginable wayfrom Florentine to Almandine.
* Pop's Mac & Cheez (845.439.3300) is a local favorite at Peez Leweez, a lunchtime hot spot. Live music and local art set the laid-back scene, where customers can chow down on sandwiches, soups, pastries, and desserts inspired by family recipes.
Work it Off:
* Ready for some good-natured competition? Grab your gun (and water-soluble, biodegradable paintballs) at Kittatinny Paintball & Adventure Center (845.557.8611). A military-truck ride up the mountain is just long enough to strategizeonce you reach the wooded playing fields, it's on.
* Ultimate Frisbee meets putting green at Oasis Fun Center (845.796.6012). Good aim and a steady arm serve players well on the 12-hole Frisbee golf course, where players hit various targets in as few throws possible.
* After decades of senseless poaching and exposure to toxic chemicals, bald eagles finally flew the New York coop. Thanks to the painstaking efforts of the state's Bald Eagle Restoration Project, however, the noble birds have returned. Observe the eagles and their fuzzy little fledglings on a guided habitat excursion with the Eagle Institute (845.557.6162).
Details mentioned in this article were accurate at the time of publication
Best Hotels in Catskill