Little Lyford Pond Camps

Little Lyford Pond Camps
  • Be the first to Review
Your rating for Little Lyford Pond Camps
Tell others why (optional):
You have 850 characters left.
Address
P.O. Box 310
Greenville, Maine 04441
View Map

Reviewed by Steve Jermanok

Opened in 1873 as a timber camp for those tough-as-bark men who chopped down trees and then rode atop the logs on rapid-churning rivers to the paper mill, Little Lyford made the transition to a sporting camp at the turn of the 19th century. "Sports," as they would call them, would take the long train ride from Boston and New York to fish for native brook trout on the waters of the West Branch of the Pleasant River and hunt deer. In the past two decades, however, many of these rustic

(+) More

Price Points
$76-150
Room Types
Cabin
Recreation & Amenities
Biking,Birding,Canoeing,Cross-country Skiing,Fly Fishing,Freshwater Fishing,Hiking,Wildlife/Nature Programs
Eco-cred
Good
Gateway Town
Closest Airport

Expert Review of Little Lyford Pond Camps

Active and Adventure Review of Little Lyford Pond Camps

By Away Travel Expert : Mike Kautz
Active Expert Favorite
Active Expert Rating 5.0 out of 5
Recommended for:
Canoeing,Cross-Country Skiing,Day Hiking,Mountain Biking,Trekking and Backpacking
Active and Adventure Expert Tips & Helpful Hints
  • Many of the logging roads around Little Lyford are closed to motorized traffic, making for peaceful mountain biking.
  • Several new hiking and skiing trails have been cleared around the camp, including one to Laurie's Ledge which has a view of Katahdin.
  • Gulf Hagas, known as the "Grand Canyon of Maine" is just downstream from the camps.
Located north of Greenville and accessible only via rough logging roads Little Lyford Pond Camps are part of a long Maine tradition. The state’s sporting camps have been hosting sportsman in the North Woods since the mid-1800’s. The traditional layout of a Maine camp is a central lodge for dining and outlying log cabins for guests. Little Lyford shares this layout, but with several modern updates. After purchasing the camp in 2004 the Appalachian Mountain Club outfitted the camp with solar

(+) More


advertisement

advertisement