Chippewa National Forest
Chippewa National Forest Supervisor's Office - A three-story log building constructed in the 1930's by the Civilian Conservation Corps.
Rabideau CCC Camp - Seventeen buildings remain at the former Civilian Conservation Corps camp site, one of the few camps in the U.S. with standing buildings.
Cut Foot Sioux Ranger Station - The oldest remaining ranger station building in the Forest Service's Eastern Region. Tours arranged through Cut Foot Sioux Visitor Information Center, Deer River District.
Elmwood Island - Located within Island Lake, this island is completely undeveloped and contains a stand of upland cedar.
Lost Forty - Virgin red and white pine that was untouched by the early loggers due to a map error that incorrectly showed this area to be under water.
Ten Section Area - Old growth, large diameter, red and white pine tracts grace this area, which was withheld from cutting during the logging era of the early 1900's. Interest in this area from conservationists at the turn of the century initiated the formation of the Chippewa National Forest.
East Lake Pines - Mature red pine left behind in the early logging days on East Lake.
Gilfillan Area - An undeveloped area with an abundance of orchids and large white spruce seed production area.
Webster Lake Bog - A wetland that contains an unusual abundance of linear-leafed sundew plants.
Pennington Bog - Containing an abundance of orchids, this bog extends onto adjacent state land and is designated as a Scientific Natural Area. Visitor permits are required and are available at Minnesota Department of Natural Resources offices.
Miller Lake - A "disappearing lake," originally impounded by beaver, where the last beaver dam washed out in the early 1980's.
Details mentioned in this article were accurate at the time of publication