Get Outta Town: Los Angeles
Order the Get Outta Town Los Angeles driving guide here
(map © MAD MAPS®)
EDITOR'S NOTE: Dress in layers to be prepared for any climate changes. Angeles Crest is not a winter option; during the other seasons, weekend traffic can be heavy. At last notice, State Route 2 is still closed between Islip Saddle to five miles west of Big Pines; please check for current road closures.
POINTS OF INTEREST:
2. Big Oaks Lodge, 33101 Bouquet Canyon Rd., Saugus, California, tel: (661) 296-5656, "Stop for an excellent burger in the canyon"
6. Newcomb's Ranch Inn, 27 miles north of La Cañada-Flintridge on the Angeles Crest Hwy. (SR-2), near La Cañada-Flintridge, California, tel: (626) 440-1001, "Only spot (literally) for victuals and libations"
2. Angeles National Forest, Chilao Visitor Center, Chilao Visitor Center: Angeles Crest Hwy.Hwy. 2 (27 miles north of the city of La Cañada-Flintridge), near La Canada-Flintridge, California, tel: (626) 796-5541, "Stop at one of the many visitor centers for info"
3. Devil's Punchbowl Nature Center, 28000 Devil's Punchbowl Rd., Pearblossom, California, tel: (661) 944-2743, "Spectacular rock formations will blow your mind"
SUGGESTED STOP: Check out Devils Punchbowl Nature Center in Pearblossom, CA. This 1,310-acre natural park, one mile away from the famous San Andreas fault, has some of the most unusual rock formations in California. You can hike with a ranger or ride a horse on one of the picturesque trails. There are geology walks, reptile programs, and a natural history museum. The park also provides such seasonal events as "Full Moon Hikes" and "Meteor Shower Viewing."
DETAILED DRIVING DIRECTIONS:
Total mileage: 153 miles
- Start | Foothill Blvd. @ SR-2, La Cañada-Flintridge, CA
- Northwest | Foothill Blvd. (cross under I-210) (through Sunland) (11.0 miles)
- Right | Osborne St. Little Tujunga Canyon Rd. Sand Canyon Rd. (through Santa Clarita) (19.5 miles)
- Right | Sierra Hwy. (0.4 miles)
- Left | Vasquez Canyon Rd. (3.6 miles)
- Right | Boquet Canyon Rd. (18.0 miles)
- Right | CR-N2
Details mentioned in this article were accurate at the time of publication