Get Outta Town: Houston
Order the Get Outta Town Houston driving guide here
(map © MAD MAPS®)
POINTS OF INTEREST:
10. Lance's Turtle Club, 2613 12 Nasa Rd. 1 , Seabrook, Texas, tel: (281) 326-7613, "An amphibious bar and grill floating on Clear Lake"
11. Big Texas Dance Hall & Saloon, 803 E. Nasa Rd. 1, #140, Webster, Texas, tel: (281) 461-4400, "Take part in their generous happy hour"
12. Aquarium Restaurant, 11 Kemah Waterfront , Kemah , Texas, tel: (281) 334-9010, "Dine underwater, but don't let your rolls get soggy"
2. Space Center Houston, 1601 NASA Pkwy., Houston, Texas, tel: (281) 244-2100, "Be an astronaut for the day"
13. Houston Raceway Park, 2525 FM-565 S., Baytown, Texas, tel: (281) 383-RACE, "Rev up your engine"
14. Anahuac Wildlife Refuge, 509 Washington Ave. (SR-61), Anahuac, Texas, tel: (409) 267-3337, "Over 30,000 acres of coastal marsh"
15. Seawolf Park, Seawolf Pkwy. (Pelican Island), Galveston, Texas, tel: (409) 744-5738, "Home of the USS Cavalla & Escort USS" Stewart
16. Ocean Star Offshore Drilling Rig & Museum, 2002 Wharf C (Pier 20), Galveston, Texas, tel: (409) 766-STAR, "Follow the skywalk out onto the drill floor"
SUGGESTED STOP: The Kemah Boardwalk in Kemah, TX, is a bit touristy, but don't miss the Aquarium Restaurant and its stunning 50,000-gallon seawater tank. In Galveston, TX, Seawolf Park berths the USS Stewart and the submarine USS Cavalla, "the luckiest submarine in the world," which sunk Japan's biggest aircraft carrier on its maiden voyage in 1944.
DETAILED DRIVING DIRECTIONS:
Total mileage: 130 miles
- Start | SR-146 @ Fairmont Pkwy., La Porte, TX
- South | SR-146(23.6 miles)
- Right on ramp | I-45 to (Exit 1A) SR-87
Details mentioned in this article were accurate at the time of publication