Get Outta Town: Chicago
Order the Get Outta Town Chicago driving guide here
(map © MAD MAPS®)
POINTS OF INTEREST:
3. Washington Street Station, 14801 Washington St., Woodstock, Illinois, tel: (815) 337-4433, "Grab a beer and a burger or a Reuben and wings"
5. Original Fatman Restaurant, 36309 N. Rte. 21, Gurnee, Illinois, tel: (847) 244-8300, "Live music, a cool patio and cookouts"
6. Kelsey Road House, 352 Kelsey Rd., Lake Barrington, Illinois, tel: (847) 381-8300, "Stained glass images of scantily clad women adorn the walls"
7. Penny Road Pub, 28W705 Penny Rd., Barrington, Illinois, tel: (847) 428-0562, "This biker-friendly place has live bands and pub grub"
8. Al Capone's Hideaway and Steak House, 35W337 Riverside Dr., St. Charles, Illinois, tel: (888) SCARFACE, "An authentic 1920s speakeasy dedicated to Scarface"
9. Texan BBQ, 105 W. St. Charles Rd., Lombard, Illinois, tel: (630) 629-8800, "Folow the smoke-scented air to this roadhouse"
10. Mustard's Last Stand, 1613 Central St., Evanston, Illinois, tel: (847) 864-2700, "'Catch-up to Mustards' for a true Chicago red hot"
2. Illinois Beach State Park, Wadsworth Rd. at Sheridan Rd., Zion, Illinois, tel: (847) 662-4811, "Lounge on the sandy shores of Lake Michigan"
3. Moraine Hills State Park, 1510 S. River Rd., McHenry, Illinois, tel: (815) 385-1624, "A glacial lake and wildlife await"
4. Marengo Ridge Conservation Area, 3100 N. SR-23, Marengo, Illinois, tel: (815) 338-6223, "Spectacular views atop a glacial moraine"
4. Chester Gould-Dick Tracy Museum, 101 N. Johnson St., Woodstock, Illinois, tel: (815) 338-8281, "A tribute to the creator of the popular comic strip"
5. Volo Auto Museum, 27582 Volo Village Rd., Volo, Illinois, tel: (815) 385-3644, "A 30-acre antique car theme park"
7. Fox River Trolley Museum, 361 S. LaFox St. , tel: (SR-31), S. Elgin, Illinois, tel: (847) 697-4676, "All aboard for a four-mile antique trolley car ride"
8. McDonald's Museum and Store No. 1, 400 N. Lee St., Des Plaines, Illinois, tel: (847) 297-5022, "Where the 'Golden Arches' got its start"
9. Fermilab, Kirk Rd. at Pine Rd., Batavia, Illinois, tel: (630) 840-3000, "Visit the worlds highest energy physics laboratory"
SUGGESTED STOP: Get some sun and sand between your toes at Illinois Beach State Park in Zion, IL. Its one of the states finest parks with six and a half miles straddling the shores of Lake Michigan; its also the only remaining beach ridge shoreline left in the state. There are prickly pear cacti found here, native to Illinois. Stray ten miles from the loop over to where the Golden Arches beckon in Des Plaines, IL, home of the worlds first McDonalds, which opened in 1955. Theres a replica restaurant/museum where mannequins don the original uniforms. Munch on the famous burgers and fries at the modern-day Mickey Ds across the street.
DETAILED DRIVING DIRECTIONS:
Total mileage: 136 miles
- Start | Sheridan Rd. at Howard St., Chicago, IL
- North | Sheridan Rd. Lake Shore Blvd. (2.0 miles)
- Right | Sheridan Rd. St. Johns Ave. (14.4 miles)
- Left | Walker Ave (0.3 miles)
- Right | Sheridan Rd. (2.2 miles)
- Right | E. Westleigh Rd. (0.2 miles)
- Left | Sheridan Rd. Main St. (7.1 miles)
- Left | 2nd Ave. , tel: (in North | Chicago) (< 0.1 miles)
- Immediate Right | Sheridan Rd. SR-137
Details mentioned in this article were accurate at the time of publication
Best Hotels in Chicago