Get Outta Town: Boston
Order the Get Outta Town Boston driving guide here
(map © MAD MAPS®)
POINTS OF INTEREST:
1. Clam Box of Ipswich, 246 High St., Ipswich, Massachusetts, tel: (978) 356-9707, "The best fried clams are at this clam-shaped stop"
3. Salem Diner, 70 Loring Ave., Salem, Massachusetts, tel: (978) 741-7918, "For aficionados of the classic roadside diner"
4. Original Kelly's Roast Beef, 410 Revere Beach Blvd., Revere, Massachusetts, tel: (781) 284-9129, "Thin sliced and piled high on a butter-toasted,sesame-seed bun"
5. Durgin-Park, 340 Faneuil Hall Market Place, Boston, Massachusetts, tel: (617) 227-2038, "A Boston landmark serving lobster stew and potroast"
6. Red Parrot, 1 Hull Shore Dr., Hull, Massachusetts, tel: (781) 925-1115, "Enjoy your surf & turf on the seaview deck"
7. Cronin's Publick House, 23 Des Moines Rd., Quincy, Massachusetts, tel: (617) 786-9804, "This homey joint serves up top notch pub grub"
2. Maudslay State Park, 74 Curzon Mill Rd., Newburyport, Massachusetts, tel: (978) 465-7223, "Stroll around the 19th-c. gardens and estate"
3. Halibut Point State Park, 16 Gaffield Ave., Rockport, Massachusetts, tel: (978) 546-2997, "A view toward Ipswich to Maine to the Isles of Shoalsoff New Hampshire"
3. Paper House, 52 Pigeon Hill St., Rockport, Massachusetts, tel: (978) 546-2629, "Read all about it: constructed of over 100,000 newspapers"
4. RockportA Seacoast Village on Cape Ann, 3 Whistlestop Mall, Rockport, Massachusetts, tel: (888) 726-3922, "Home to fishing shacks, art coloniesand beaches"
5. Hammond Castle, 80 Hesperus Ave., Gloucester, Massachusetts, tel: (978) 283-7673, "A prolific inventors castle filled with medieval art"
6. Spellbound Museum, Vampire and Ghost Hunt Tour, 190 Essex St., Salem, Massachusetts, tel: (978) 7450138, "Summon the supernatural on thistour"
8. Walter Gropius House, 68 Baker Bridge Rd., Lincoln, Massachusetts, tel: (781) 259-8098, "Home of founder of the Bauhaus design movement"
9. USS Constitution-Old Ironsides Warship, 1 Constitution Rd., Charlestown, Massachusetts, tel: (617) 242 - 5671, "This old warship is the flagshipof the U.S. Navy"
SUGGESTED STOP: What kind of house would the man who designed the machines that make paper clips live in? A paper house, of course. For 20years beginning in 1922, Elis F. Stenman layered and pasted approximately 100,000 newspapers to create his two-room dream home. The Paper House in Rockport,MA, is made of 215 layers of newspaper; you can read intriguing articles from days gone by on the walls. There are paper-covered tables, chairs, lamps, andeven a piano. Good luck as you try not to get a paper cut.
DETAILED DRIVING DIRECTIONS:
Total mileage: 111 miles
- Start | Park St. @ Tremont St., Boston, MA
- Northwest | Park St.(< 0.1 miles)
- Right | Beacon St. School St. Washington St. (0.3 miles)
- Right | Water St.(< 0.1 miles)
- Left | Congress St. (past Faneuil Hall and Government Center) Merrimac St.(0.5 miles)
- Right | New Chardon St.(< 0.1 miles)
- Right on ramp | SR-1A (Stay Left; signs to Callahan Tunnel)(0.5 miles)
- Straight | SR-1A
Details mentioned in this article were accurate at the time of publication