Expert Travel Advice to Martha's Vineyard
- Away Travel
- Vacation rental website FlipKey, a partner of Away.com, picks ten of New England's best beaches. You might want to call in sick tomorrow and work on your tan. Away Top Ten
- Summer's first kick-off party is undoubtedly Memorial Day, though we think the 4th of July takes the cake for the biggest and the best intro to the sweltering heat. So fire up the grill, ice down some beverages, and look to the night sky in observance of America's birthday. Here are the top five places to see fireworks in the USofA. Away Practical Advice
- Madras shorts and yacht clubs aside, Martha's Vineyard's got plenty of opportunities for the whole family to explore, play, eat, and relax. Our family expert Steve Jermanok should know—he brings his family back every year. Away Travel
- From biking to kayaking, horseback riding to swimming, snorkeling to hiking, these beach destinations will keep your heart racing on your next vacation. Gorp Top Ten
- Away Travel
- New England's best family beaches. Away Travel
- Western Hemisphere: Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Gorp Top Ten
Top Answers To Martha's Vineyard Travel Questions
Martha's Vinyard has a wonderful bus transportation system. I was there last October and the bike rental shops were closed. We soon discovered the bus system,which will take you to every region on the island.
Pieter answered:Fishbones is kind of touristy. Nancy's, right near the OB dock also, is better. The best is if you take a bus Up Island to Menemsha and order food at this little shack called "The Bite." You can also get seafood (cooked or not) right off the boats there (Larson's seafood runs a shop) and watch a sunset over water. Bring beach chairs. And wine.
As you'll have your own wheels, getting around in a day shouldn't be too hard. There are some tips for things to see on this page: http://vacation.away.com/massachusetts/travel-v2-cid362302-martha-s-vineyard-cid400173-travel.html. Have fun!
If you're feeling ambitious, you could rent bikes and do the "down-Island" route from Vineyard Haven to Oak Bluffs and Edgartown and back. It's a 25-mile round-trip, which will probably take you around four to five hours all told. Bike rentals are available from Vineyard Haven. There's more info and a downloadable map available via the "Bicycle Riding" link on the Martha's Vineyard Chamber of Commerce's website at: http://www.mvy.com. Not feeling so energetic? Hit the beach!