Expert Travel Advice to Cape Cod
- Fall is a great season to get outside, with foliage-viewing high on everyone's list. But for a vacation that's a bit different, a trip to the vineyard during the eventful harvest season is in order. If you don't have the timeor moneyto plan a trip to a wine region like Sonoma or Napa Valley, check out these off-the-beaten-path wine destinations, many of which are a quick dash from a major city. Away Top Ten
- There are those of us who travel, and there are those of us who travel to eat. Call us epicures, gourmands, or gluttons. Whatever moniker you choose, just keep the pasta alfredo coming and the pinot gris flowing, and we'll all get along just fine. Away Top Ten
- Our family-travel expert Steve Jermanok hones in on his favorite places to vacation with the entire brood. Gorp Top Ten
- Away Travel
- Away Travel
- Away Travel
- The insider's guide to 11 kid-perfect New England campsites. Gorp Travel
- An historic journey between the Oregon Coast and Provincetown, Massachusetts. Gorp Travel
Top Answers To Cape Cod Travel Questions
Answer this2 AnswersNothing like the Cape in summer. Hyannis and Hyannisport have a number of good beaches and restaurants, but it's also a great launching point for day trips. Take a tour of the dunes or head up to Provincetown. If you want a more involved trip, there's a high-speed ferry that leaves from the Hyannis dock to Martha's Vineyard. Once there, you can use the island's excellent bus system to head from Oak Bluffs to the less crowded Edgartown.
Jeb asked:Answer this1 AnswerGraham answered:Typcially, the best beaches for younger swimmers are on the west-facing side of the Cape, which fronts the more sheletered waters of Cape Cod Bay. Cape Cod's Atlantic-facing shoreline experiences much bigger surf, so not ideal if you have younger kids. One of my favorite beaches for kids is Skaket Beach near Orleans, which has big tidepools and shallow water that is perfect for toddlers who want to roam and splash around. In Chatham, you might try Cockle Cove Beach, which fronts the sheltered waters of Nantucket Sound. Hope this helps!
Hi I have lived in Cape Cod for the past 10 plus years. Woods Hole has a free aquarium that kids can enjoy and touch tanks along with a seal outside, parking is challenging but well worth it. If you are traveling to Cape Cod make a stop at the Boston Aquarium it is an actual boat please allow at least 3 to 4 hours. Whale watching trip start in Plymouth just off cape and run to Provincetown. Very fun however a very long boat ride for a little one. Consider instead the pirate adventure ride in Provincetown. Enjoy your stay. Don't forget your bikes as Cape Cod has a fab bike trail.
Answer this2 AnswersPieter answered:October is my favorite season on the Cape and Islands. The weather is crisp but the water is still (barely) warm enough for swimming. There are a bunch of harvest festivals around the Cape, so check wherever you're staying locally. Also, it's the tail end of whale watching season. Barnstable and Hyannis both have great whale watching tours.