Dickey Ridge Trail is a pleasant hike that is 2.7 miles in length traveling past a small mountainside stream. The trail descends beginning at Dickey Ridge Visitor Center.
Directions: From Front Royal, VA, Skyline Drive travels the entire length of Shenandoah National Park. Mile markers are placed along the right-hand side of the road heading south. They are numbered from north to south beginning at the northern terminus in Front Royal, Virginia. Facilities, trails and park features use the mile markers as points of reference. Dickey Ridge Trail may be accessed from Dickey Ridge Visitor Center which is .4 mile north of milepost 5.
Elevation: 1,940 feet
Elevation Gain: 200 feet
- Be the first to Review
Expert Review of Dickey Ridge Trail
Family Review of Dickey Ridge Trail
- The 10-mile Dickey Ridge Trail does not circle back, so you'll need to either decide a point at which to retrace your steps or arrange for pick-up at Compton Gap.
- The Dickey Ridge Visitor Center is at mile 4.6 of this trail, so if you're starting there, you're already halfway to the end.
From there, you can take a 1.3-mile loop that leads to an old homestead. This is a perfect hike for young kids—easy, short, and scenic. Or, you can head for Dickey Ridge Trail, a more strenuous trail that's a total of 10 miles in length and takes hikers alongside a mountain stream. Abandoned homesites and evidence of people who once lived here are abundant on this trail—you'll see piles of stones, old roads, stone walls, and an old stone chimney, the remains of a homesite. It's not a terribly difficult hike, but is probably most suitable for older children or reasonably fit parents carting little ones in backpacks.(-) Close
Shenandoah National Park, Virginia
Review by Wildernet Copyright © 2010 Wildernet.com all rights reserved.
- Shenandoah National Park, VA Hotel Prices Made Easy
Orbitz.com - Just Orbitz and go!
- Hotel Deals in Shenandoah National Park, VA
Expedia.com - Don't just travel. Travel right!
- Book Now with Cheap Tickets and Save on Shenandoah National Park, VA Hotels!
CheapTickets.com - Just click. You're there.
- Find the best rates for hotels in Shenandoah National Park, VA
Kayak.com - Life's a trip.