Story of the Forest Nature Trail is an interpretive loop trail that is self-guided. Twenty-two signs along the path tell about the succession from meadow to forest. It is a good hike for able-bodied children.
Directions: From Front Royal, VA, Skyline Drive travels the entire length of Shenandoah National Park. Mile markers are placed along the right-hand side of the road heading south. They are numbered from north to south beginning at the northern terminus in Front Royal, Virginia. Facilities, trails and park features use the mile markers as points of reference. Park at milepost 51.2 in the Byrd Visitor Center. Trail begins across the Drive from the north entrance.
Elevation: 3,425 feet
Elevation Gain: 290 feet
- Be the first to Review
Expert Review of Story of the Forest Nature Trail
Family Review of Story of the Forest Nature Trail
- The Byrd Visitor Center, from which the trail originates, also hosts a museum, junior ranger programs, and a variety of information, programs, and activities for visitors.
Shenandoah National Park, Virginia
Review by Wildernet Copyright © 2010 Wildernet.com all rights reserved.
- Shenandoah National Park, VA Hotel Prices Made Easy
Orbitz.com - Just Orbitz and go!
- Hotel Deals in Shenandoah National Park, VA
Expedia.com - Don't just travel. Travel right!
- Book Now with Cheap Tickets and Save on Shenandoah National Park, VA Hotels!
CheapTickets.com - Just click. You're there.
- Find the best rates for hotels in Shenandoah National Park, VA
Kayak.com - Life's a trip.