- Be the first to Review
Expert Review of Skyline Drive
Parks and Outdoors Review of Skyline Drive
- Skyline Drive is both a 105-mile-long attraction and also the key to exploring Shenandoah National Park through providing access to hiking and horse trails, vista-rich overlooks, lodges, campgrounds, and adventure.
- Take your time and be prepared when traveling on Skyline, which has only two traffic lanes, few amenities, occasional heavy traffic, and a 35 mph speed limitbut 75 overlooks.
- Among the best overlooks are Hogback (mile 20.8 from the park's northern entrance), Crescent Rock (mile 44.4), Spitler Knoll (mile 48.1), Big Run (mile 81.2), and Calf Mountain (mile 98.9).
Family Review of Skyline Drive
- Though the whole drive can be done in three hours on clear days, leave yourself more time during busy sight-seeing times, such as autumn when the fall colors are changing.
- Remember, it's against park rules to feed the wildlife.
Watch the road signs for visitor centers and the many nature trails you'll pass along the way, and stop at one of the scenic overlooks for a stunning view. You don't have to drive the entire 105 miles—there are four different access points along the way.(-) Close
Active and Adventure Review of Skyline Drive
- It might be a road famous for its scenic curves and panoramic vistas, but take our advice: get out of the car and hike! While many of the overlooks are the frenzied scene of drive-by photo shootings, they also provide access to trails with better views, fewer people, and more wildlife.
- This place can resemble a parking lot at weekends, especially during fall's leaf-peeping season. Try go on a weekday, or visit when the spring wildflowers bloom instead.
Review by Away Copyright © 2010 Away.com all rights reserved.
- Shenandoah National Park, VA Hotel Prices Made Easy
Orbitz.com - Just Orbitz and go!
- Hotel Deals in Shenandoah National Park, VA
Expedia.com - Don't just travel. Travel right!
- Book Now with Cheap Tickets and Save on Shenandoah National Park, VA Hotels!
CheapTickets.com - Just click. You're there.
- Find the best rates for hotels in Shenandoah National Park, VA
Kayak.com - Life's a trip.