This very popular hike along an inclined saddleback ridge is well worth doing (especially very early in the morning). The first 1.5 miles are through wooded forests leading to a series of rocky outcroppings and very large boulders. The hike snakes through, under, and over wonderful rock formations (about 3 miles into the loop). The descent is fairly gradual and easy leading to a fire road with easy walking along a pleasant stream, finally back to the trailhead.
Directions: From Front Royal take 522 south past Sperryville. Turn right on Route 231 for a few miles. Finally turn on Route 707 until either the 200 car lot (about .75 miles from trailhead) or if you're very early (before 7am) up to the trailhead lot (8 cars).
Elevation: 4,011 feet
Elevation gain: 431 feet
- Be the first to Review
Review of Old Rag
Active and Adventure Review of Old Rag
- This is an exceptionally popular weekend hike. Beat the crowds by camping on Friday night alongside Hughes River and the Nicholson Hollow Trail. A free backcountry permit is required.
- Cap your day's hike off with a pint and burger at the Griffin Tavern in Flint Hill, Virginia. The mellow pub vibe, nicely landscaped outdoor patio, and good food and drink are the perfect complement to the rolling fields and mountain views.
Review by Away Copyright © 2010 Away.com all rights reserved.
- Shenandoah National Park, VA Hotel Prices Made Easy
Orbitz.com - Just Orbitz and go!
- Hotel Deals in Shenandoah National Park, VA
Expedia.com - Don't just travel. Travel right!
- Book Now with Cheap Tickets and Save on Shenandoah National Park, VA Hotels!
CheapTickets.com - Just click. You're there.
- Find the best rates for hotels in Shenandoah National Park, VA
Kayak.com - Life's a trip.