Kipuka Puaulu Trail is a short loop through an upland forest oasis surrounded by lava flows from Mauna Loa. This forest is an old-growth forest of koa and ohia trees. The trail is rated as easy by the Park Service, but the surface of the trail is dirt, so it is not wheelchair accessible.
Directions: From Park Entrance, Pass the park entrance on Highway 11 and continue driving to Mauna Loa Road. Turn right on Mauna Loa Road and look for the trailhead on the right side of the road.
Difficulty: Easy to Moderate
- Be the first to Review
Expert Review of Kipukapuaulu Trail
Parks and Outdoors Review of Kipukapuaulu Trail
- Restrooms are available nearby at the picnic area.
- Shady loop trail has somewhat drier conditions than rain forest trails.
- This trail is a treasure trove of Hawaiian plants and birds.
Mauna Loa Rd.
Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Hawaii
Review by Wildernet Copyright © 2010 Wildernet.com all rights reserved.
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, HI Hotel Prices Made Easy
Orbitz.com - Just Orbitz and go!
- Hotel Deals in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, HI
Expedia.com - Don't just travel. Travel right!
- Book Now with Cheap Tickets and Save on Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, HI Hotels!
CheapTickets.com - Just click. You're there.
- Find the best rates for hotels in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, HI
Kayak.com - Life's a trip.