This "three-in-one" trail has a choice of destinations depending on how far you wish to hike. You start off along the green banks of the Fremont River, then climb 380 feet and pass underneath the graceful 133-foot span of Hickman Natural Bridge, eroded from the Kayenta Formation. At this point you've hiked one mile and the roundtrip is about 90 minutes.
For even better views, take the turnoff for Rim Overlookretrace 0.75 mile from the natural bridge or hike 0.25 mile from the trailheadand climb two miles for a panorama 1,000 feet above the Fremont River Valley. The great cliffs of Capitol Reef rise above, Boulder Mountain stands to the southwest, and the Henry Mountains to the southeast.
Wish to see more? Then continue climbing another 2.25 miles and 600 feet higher to Navajo Knobs and a vista that takes in much of southeastern Utah. Cairns mark the way across slickrock.
- Be the first to Review
Expert Review of Hickman Natural Bridge, Rim Overlook, and Navajo Knobs Trails
Active and Adventure Review of Hickman Natural Bridge, Rim Overlook, and Navajo Knobs Trails
- Hickman Natural Bridge Trail is a self-guided nature trail.
- Joseph Hickman served in the state legislature in the 1920s and promoted the Capitol Reef area.
- Just beyond where the trail to Hickman Natural Bridge drops into a wash, keep an eye out for a granary about 50 feet above the trail on the north cliff face. Prehistoric Fremont used it to store beans and corn. About 300 feet farther you'll pass by the tiny Nels Johnson Natural Bridge.
2 miles east of the visitor center on the north side of UT 24
Capitol Reef National Park, HC 70 Box 15
Torrey, Utah 84775
Review by Away Copyright © 2010 Away.com all rights reserved.
- Capitol Reef National Park, UT Hotel Prices Made Easy
Orbitz.com - Just Orbitz and go!
- Hotel Deals in Capitol Reef National Park, UT
Expedia.com - Don't just travel. Travel right!
- Book Now with Cheap Tickets and Save on Capitol Reef National Park, UT Hotels!
CheapTickets.com - Just click. You're there.
- Find the best rates for hotels in Capitol Reef National Park, UT
Kayak.com - Life's a trip.