Please Note: The dry desert air quickly uses up the body's water reserves. We recommend that you carry a minimum of one gallon of water per person per day in the summer, slightly less in the winter. For half-day hikes, carry at least 2 quarts per person.
Springs and tinajas (depressions in rock where water collects) are unreliable and may be unsafe to drink. Springs are rare in the desert and wildlife depend on them. Please carry enough water to supply your own needs
Due to the complex topography and vague trails, detailed 7.5 minute topographic maps and a compass are necessary for most hikes.
On a final note, the weather in Big Bend, hot or cold, injures and kills more hikers than any other factor. Come well prepared because weather changes can be dramatic and unexpected.
Directions: From Panther Juntion, Travel 6 miles east on the road to the Rio Grande Village. The trailhead is at the Dugout Wells Picnic Area
- Be the first to Review
Expert Review of Chihuahuan Desert Nature Trail
Parks and Outdoors Review of Chihuahuan Desert Nature Trail
- The Chihuahuan Desert Nature Trail is a .5-mile loop past a small oasis through the Chihuahuan Desert.
- The trailhead is located at Dugout Wells at the end of a short gravel road six miles southeast of Panther Junction.
- Look for interpretive signs that explain desert ecology.
I-25 to Hwy. 70 East, exit Mesa Grande Rd., U-turn under hwy., right on Jornada Rd, follow Jornada 6.5 miles, left before Chihuahuan Desert Nature Park sign
Big Bend National Park, Texas
Review by Wildernet Copyright © 2010 Wildernet.com all rights reserved.
- Big Bend National Park, TX Hotel Prices Made Easy
Orbitz.com - Just Orbitz and go!
- Hotel Deals in Big Bend National Park, TX
Expedia.com - Don't just travel. Travel right!
- Book Now with Cheap Tickets and Save on Big Bend National Park, TX Hotels!
CheapTickets.com - Just click. You're there.
- Find the best rates for hotels in Big Bend National Park, TX
Kayak.com - Life's a trip.