Leaving the Roaring Brook Campground and traveling to Pamola Peak will take the average hiker approximately 3.5 hours. The distance to the summit is 3.2 miles. This trail is known for offering immediate scenic views and sustaining those views for most of the hike. There are many large boulders to negotiate, however, footing is not treacherous. Bear Brook provides water along the path. The trail begins in a scrub field ascending sharply into a deciduous forest that evolves into a conifer forest with large surrounding boulders opening to sweeping area views. From the summit of Pamola you will be able to see Knife Edge Ridge.
Directions: From Millinocket, ME, Travel approximately 15 miles north on SR 11 to reach the Togue Pond Gate. Bear right and travel about 8 miles to the Roaring Brook Campground. Trail begins in the campground.
Elevation: 4,919 feet
- Be the first to Review
Expert Review of Helon Taylor Trail
Active and Adventure Review of Helon Taylor Trail
- This trail climbs directly from the road to the top of Pamola Peak and has some of Baxter's best views.
- Much of the trail is above treeline and hikers should keep an eye on the weather.
- Many hikers make a loop by crossing the Knife Edge to Katahdin and descending the Saddle Trail.
Baxter State Park, Maine
Review by Wildernet Copyright © 2010 Wildernet.com all rights reserved.
- Baxter State Park, ME Hotel Prices Made Easy
Orbitz.com - Just Orbitz and go!
- Hotel Deals in Baxter State Park, ME
Expedia.com - Don't just travel. Travel right!
- Book Now with Cheap Tickets and Save on Baxter State Park, ME Hotels!
CheapTickets.com - Just click. You're there.
- Find the best rates for hotels in Baxter State Park, ME
Kayak.com - Life's a trip.