Very early in the history of Annapolis Sailing School, they realized that the best way to learn to sail was by sailing. All of the instruction, whether introductory or advanced, reflects this commitment to hands on, experience-based learning. Some concepts are best conveyed in a classroom setting, and there is a place for formal theory in any learning program. The "Annapolis Way," however, blends a minimum of theory with a maximum of hands-on experience. In most of the introductory courses, students will be on the water, actually sailing, within an hour of the start of the class.
Advanced courses also reflect this commitment to experiential learning. In the Coastal Navigation course, basic concepts of chart reading and dead reckoning are presented in a classroom setting. Students and instructors immediately board one of the school's sailing auxiliaries and proceed to put what was just learned into practice. Working out a speed time and distance problem in theory is educational, but the first time you work out an ETA and the buoy shows up right on time and in the right place is an unforgettable learning experience.
- Be the first to Review
Review of Annapolis Sailing School
Active and Adventure Review of Annapolis Sailing School
- The sailing school is only open from April through November.
- If you have some sailing experience and would like to rent a boat, you can rent 24-foot vessels from the school. Graduates of the sailing school are also eligible to join the school's Keelboat Club, giving you access to the boats throughout the sailing season.
7001 Bembe Beach Road
Annapolis, Maryland 21403
Review by Away Copyright © 2010 Away.com all rights reserved.
- Annapolis, MD Hotel Prices Made Easy
Orbitz.com - Just Orbitz and go!
- Hotel Deals in Annapolis, MD
Expedia.com - Don't just travel. Travel right!
- Book Now with Cheap Tickets and Save on Annapolis, MD Hotels!
CheapTickets.com - Just click. You're there.
- Find the best rates for hotels in Annapolis, MD
Kayak.com - Life's a trip.