The Colorado and Green Rivers form the boundaries of Island in the Sky District. It's in the north of the park and easily reached by paved US 191 and UT 313 from Moab or I-70. At the top of the plateau you'll find a visitor center, paved scenic drive, campground, spectacular viewpoints, and a variety of hiking trails. Elevations run about 6,000 feet.
Part way down the cliffs, a terrace called the White Rim wraps three-quarters of the way around the plateau. You can reach it on trails from the plateau or by driving or mountain biking the 100-mile White Rim Trail; this road is very rough in spots and too rough for cars; it's also too long to drive easily in a day, so most people camp a few nights along the way (permit needed). The White Rim is about 800 feet above the Colorado River in the east and slopes down to river level along the Green River in the west.
- Be the first to Review
Expert Review of Island in the Sky District
Active and Adventure Review of Island in the Sky District
- Spring and autumn have the best weather, but also the greatest crowds.
- A backcountry drive or mountain bike ride along the White Rim Road is a grand adventure; a four-wheel-drive vehicle is needed or you can join an adventure tour out of Moab.
- Upheaval Dome has an unusual geologic structure with colorful upturned rings of rock. It may have resulted from a meteorite impact. You can hike to it, most easily from the scenic drive atop the plateau.
Canyonlands National Park
2282 SW Resource Blvd.
Moab, Utah 84532
Review by Away Copyright © 2010 Away.com all rights reserved.
- Moab, UT Hotel Prices Made Easy
Orbitz.com - Just Orbitz and go!
- Hotel Deals in Moab, UT
Expedia.com - Don't just travel. Travel right!
- Book Now with Cheap Tickets and Save on Moab, UT Hotels!
CheapTickets.com - Just click. You're there.
- Find the best rates for hotels in Moab, UT
Kayak.com - Life's a trip.