- Be the first to Review
Your rating for El Choco National Park
Expert Review of El Choco National Park
Parks and Outdoors Review of El Choco National Park
Parks and OutdoorsExpert Tips & Helpful Hints
- There are two entrances to the park, but the more official one is at the little office just west of Cabarete. The other is a five-minute walk from the bridge in the small village of Islabon, east of Cabarete. An entrance fee is charged at both locations.
- Hire a guide at the park entrance or take an organized tour booked through your hotel, and be sure you can understand your guide's English. Trails are unmarked, and it's easy to get confused in the twists and turns through the dense forest.
- Wear a swimsuit under your hiking or biking clothes so you can cool off with a dip in one of the natural pools inside the caves. You'll want comfortable closed-toe shoes to protect your feet on slippery paths and jagged rocks.
The Dominican Republic's newest national park is El Choco, a reserve covering 48 square miles (77 square kilometers) in the province of Puerto Plata. It is one of the most easily reached protected areas on the north coast, with the main entrance (+) More
The Dominican Republic's newest national park is El Choco, a reserve covering 48 square miles (77 square kilometers) in the province of Puerto Plata. It is one of the most easily reached protected areas on the north coast, with the main entrance only a 15-minute walk west from the center of Cabarete, a popular tourist town. Unmarked trails roll through the park's lushly forested hills to shallow caverns that contain large natural pools fed by underground springs. Some of the caves, known as the Cabarete Caves, have been cleared of debris and outfitted with lights and stairs. Others remain buried in a jumble of tropical vegetation. Local outfitters lead hiking and mountain-biking tours for all fitness levels. (-) Close
Neighborhood: North Coast
The details, dates, and prices mentioned here were accurate at the time of publication.
Review by Away Copyright © 2010 Away.com all rights reserved.
- Cabarete, Dominican Republic Hotel Prices Made Easy
Orbitz.com - Just Orbitz and go!
- Hotel Deals in Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Expedia.com - Don't just travel. Travel right!
- Book Now with Cheap Tickets and Save on Cabarete, Dominican Republic Hotels!
CheapTickets.com - Just click. You're there.
- Find the best rates for hotels in Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Kayak.com - Life's a trip.