- Be the first to Review
Your rating for Swayambunath Stupa
Expert Review of Swayambunath Stupa
Family Review of Swayambunath Stupa
FamilyExpert Tips & Helpful Hints
- Don't even think of bringing a stroller here. The 305 steps are best negotiated with babies and toddlers carried in slings or backpacks.
- The troop of monkeys that live around the temple will help keep younger visitors entertained. Among their repertoire is sliding down the banister of the long main stairway that leads to the temple.
- Make sure you have plenty of drinking water. Climbing the stairs can be thirsty work, especially on a hot day.
Buddhists have been traveling to pay homage at Swayambunath Stupa for more than 15 centuries. The oldest holy shrine in the Kathmandu Valley, and one of the most striking, is a must-see regardless of religious persuasion. Kids and big kids alike are (+) More
Buddhists have been traveling to pay homage at Swayambunath Stupa for more than 15 centuries. The oldest holy shrine in the Kathmandu Valley, and one of the most striking, is a must-see regardless of religious persuasion. Kids and big kids alike are enthralled by the golden face (which is symbolic of the watchful gaze of Buddha) that sits on top of the huge white dome. In turn, these eagle eyes are capped by a conical wooded hill and a golden crown. The 360-degree panorama over the Kathmandu Valley that unfolds from the stupa is breathtaking. (-) Close
The details, dates, and prices mentioned here were accurate at the time of publication.
Review by Away Copyright © 2010 Away.com all rights reserved.
- Kathmandu, Nepal Hotel Prices Made Easy
Orbitz.com - Just Orbitz and go!
- Hotel Deals in Kathmandu, Nepal
Expedia.com - Don't just travel. Travel right!
- Book Now with Cheap Tickets and Save on Kathmandu, Nepal Hotels!
CheapTickets.com - Just click. You're there.
- Find the best rates for hotels in Kathmandu, Nepal
Kayak.com - Life's a trip.