- Be the first to Review
Your rating for Summer Palace
Expert Review of Summer Palace
Family Review of Summer Palace
FamilyExpert Tips & Helpful Hints
- When Empress Cixi restored the marble boat, adding two paddle-steamer-type wheels to it, she intended it to symbolize the stability of the Qing Dynasty (the boat would be propelled by water rather than sunk by it).
- Enjoy a lazy summer afternoon rowing on the expansive Kunming Lake.
- In cooler months, mists roll in over Kunming Lake, lending a spooky ambience. In the winter, rent a pair of ice skates and join the locals as they glide over the frozen lake.
The Summer Palace is an unmissable sight for families. It took more than 100,000 laborers to build this leisure oasis—an impressive collage of walkways, hills, waterways, ceremonial halls, temples, pavilions, palaces, and landscaped (+) More
The Summer Palace is an unmissable sight for families. It took more than 100,000 laborers to build this leisure oasis—an impressive collage of walkways, hills, waterways, ceremonial halls, temples, pavilions, palaces, and landscaped gardens—and it is a great place to relax whatever the weather. The marble boat that is permanently moored on Kunming Lake is a decadent example of the emperors' extravagances, a world away from the frugality and reserve of Chinese communism. Another highlight is the Long Promenade, an impressive archway of paintings stretching over 728 meters. The Summer Palace is such an impressive example of an imperial Chinese garden that UNESCO designated it a World Heritage Site in 1998. (-) Close
Parking: 7a-5p M-Su
Telephone Number: +86 10 6288 1144
Transportation: Bus: 907, 375, 801, 808, 732, 394, 718
Neighborhood: Hai Dian District
The details, dates, and prices mentioned here were accurate at the time of publication.
Review by Away Copyright © 2010 Away.com all rights reserved.
- Beijing, China Hotel Prices Made Easy
Orbitz.com - Just Orbitz and go!
- Hotel Deals in Beijing, China
Expedia.com - Don't just travel. Travel right!
- Book Now with Cheap Tickets and Save on Beijing, China Hotels!
CheapTickets.com - Just click. You're there.
- Find the best rates for hotels in Beijing, China
Kayak.com - Life's a trip.