- Be the first to Review
Your rating for Pompei
Expert Review of Pompei
Family Review of Pompei
FamilyExpert Tips & Helpful Hints
- It's easy to spend a day exploring these expansive ruins. Do bring: comfortable shoes for all, sunscreen, water, snacks, hats. Try to visit early morning or late day to avoid crowds and sun. Good books for kids: Pompeii, Lost & Found, by Mary Pope Osborne; Bodies From the Ash, by James M. Deem.
- Vesuvius obliterated Pompeii in August of 79 A.D. Casts of spaces in the solidified layers created by decomposed human remains allow us to see the poignant horror of that moment; some casts have been left exactly where victims fell. Seeing the casts is gripping, emotional, and may be difficult for some kids.
- Sexuality was a normal part of Roman culture. Prostitution had no stigma, and artwork was very graphic. Frescoes here depict all manner of sexuality. Families uncomfortable with this should research ahead to avoid the most graphic scenes (i.e. the baths and brothel), or use Pompeii to open discussions about ancient vs. modern mores, the function of art, or cultural differences in the world today
72 Corso Europa
72 Corso Europa
The details, dates, and prices mentioned here were accurate at the time of publication.
Review by Away Copyright © 2010 Away.com all rights reserved.
- Naples, Italy Hotel Prices Made Easy
Orbitz.com - Just Orbitz and go!
- Hotel Deals in Naples, Italy
Expedia.com - Don't just travel. Travel right!
- Book Now with Cheap Tickets and Save on Naples, Italy Hotels!
CheapTickets.com - Just click. You're there.
- Find the best rates for hotels in Naples, Italy
Kayak.com - Life's a trip.