- Be the first to Review
Your rating for Torcello
Expert Review of Torcello
Romance Review of Torcello
RomanceExpert Tips & Helpful Hints
- The laid-back island of Burano offers a hint of what Venice might be like without today's high-volume tourism, but it is best known for fine lace-making, a severely leaning campanile (bell tower), and a collection of photogenic pastel cottages.
- Home to just 6,000 residents and famed glass-blowing factories, the island of Murano is an easy stop on the way back from Torcello. Twenty-minute demonstrations are followed by sales pitches (bargain hard), while better buys and more variety are often found in "mainland" Venice shops; a museum holds fusty antiques.
- Usually the most efficient way to reach these islands is to board the vaporetto at the stop Fondamente Nuove; from here, it's a 15-minute journey to Murano, and about 40 minutes to Burano and Torcello.
Located a 40-minute boat ride from Venice, peaceful Torcello is the oldest settlement in the Veneto lagoon. Although 20,000 once lived here, today the island is almost deserted but for a few dozen nearly invisible fishermen and gardeners, making for (+) More
Located a 40-minute boat ride from Venice, peaceful Torcello is the oldest settlement in the Veneto lagoon. Although 20,000 once lived here, today the island is almost deserted but for a few dozen nearly invisible fishermen and gardeners, making for a wonderful day trip. Stroll the lonely meadows; cross the antiquated stone bridge; and head to the Romanesque Basilica di Santa Maria Assunta, the oldest building in the lagoon. Here, mosaic-lovers are awestruck by the exquisite Byzantine craftsmanship that created a vast Universal Judgement and a weeping Madonna against a curtain of gold. Traipse up the 180-foot bell tower for a spectacular view of the lagoon, then stop for a classical lunch at Locanda Cipriani, a rustic partner to the famed Venice hotel. (-) Close
The details, dates, and prices mentioned here were accurate at the time of publication.
Review by Away Copyright © 2010 Away.com all rights reserved.
- Venice, Italy Hotel Prices Made Easy
Orbitz.com - Just Orbitz and go!
- Hotel Deals in Venice, Italy
Expedia.com - Don't just travel. Travel right!
- Book Now with Cheap Tickets and Save on Venice, Italy Hotels!
CheapTickets.com - Just click. You're there.
- Find the best rates for hotels in Venice, Italy
Kayak.com - Life's a trip.