The Youghiogheny River has exciting whitewater boating for all experience levels. Only sturdily constructed rubber rafts, kayaks, and closed-deck canoes may be used in the river. River levels can change the difficulty of rapids. Check at the launch area or contact the park office for current water levels.
The famous Lower Yough begins after the Ohiopyle Falls and flows seven miles downstream to the Bruner Run take-out. This is the busiest section of whitewater east of the Mississippi River.
The numerous Class III and IV rapids make for exciting rafting that should only be attempted by experienced whitewater boaters. Inexperienced whitewater boaters should run this section of the river on a guided raft trip with an authorized concessionaire. The natural river environment contains undercut rocks, ledges, and swift currents.
The Middle Yough begins at the Ramcat put-in near Confluence, and ends near the town of Ohiopyle. This section contains Class I and II rapids and is ideal for beginning kayakers or experienced canoers. Families often raft this section because it provides thrilling rapids at normal river levels.
The Upper Yough boasts class IV+ rapids and is perfect for experienced thrill-seekers.
- Be the first to Review
Review of Youghiogheny River
Active and Adventure Review of Youghiogheny River
- The town of Ohiopyle has a number of outfitters offering guided rafting trips, many of them suitable for families and first timers. The Lower Yough is the most popular challenge for recreational rafters, while the Middle Yough has easy flatwater good for canoeing.
- For real rinse-cycle, Class IV-V froth, look to the ten-mile section of the Upper Yough between Sang Run Road and Friendsville. Experienced whitewater kayakers need only apply.
- Out of the water, the steep 3.4-mile hike up the Baughman Trail to Sugarloaf Knob offers the best views of the Lower and Middle "Youghs".
Review by Away Copyright © 2010 Away.com all rights reserved.
- Ohiopyle State Park, PA Hotel Prices Made Easy
Orbitz.com - Just Orbitz and go!
- Hotel Deals in Ohiopyle State Park, PA
Expedia.com - Don't just travel. Travel right!
- Book Now with Cheap Tickets and Save on Ohiopyle State Park, PA Hotels!
CheapTickets.com - Just click. You're there.
- Find the best rates for hotels in Ohiopyle State Park, PA
Kayak.com - Life's a trip.