- Be the first to Review
Your rating for Rafting on the Martha Brae
Expert Review of Rafting on the Martha Brae
Parks and Outdoors Review of Rafting on the Martha Brae
Parks and OutdoorsExpert Tips & Helpful Hints
- Captains pilot 30-foot handmade bamboo rafts with a long pole while up to two passengers enjoy the forested countryside slowly drifting by.
- Tours last about an hour and a half, depending on the speed of the river, and cover more than three miles. You'll make stops for photos, swimming, and to swing Tarzan-like over the water on a rope swing.
- Trips start from Rafters Rest, which has a restaurant and souvenir shops. A local mento band entertains with typical island music, and there are restrooms where you can change into a swimsuit if you plan to take a dip in the river.
If you think Martha Brae is an odd name for a Jamaican town and river, you're right. The original Spanish name for the waterway was Rio Matibereon, and the town that grew up along its banks took its name from the river. Legend has it that an Arawak (+) More
If you think Martha Brae is an odd name for a Jamaican town and river, you're right. The original Spanish name for the waterway was Rio Matibereon, and the town that grew up along its banks took its name from the river. Legend has it that an Arawak native named Matibereon long ago escaped Spanish soldiers by jumping into the river. You'll hear the entire story from your guide during your rafting trip, but still you may find it difficult to understand how, over many years, English settlers so badly mispronounced the original name that it became Martha Brae. These are the most important issues you'll grapple with during this relaxing putter down the river. (-) Close
Beach Review of Rafting on the Martha Brae
Family Review of Rafting on the Martha Brae
FamilyExpert Tips & Helpful Hints
- Each raft holds two adults or one adult and two small children.
- Kids WILL want to jump in and swim so they should dress accordingly.
66 Claude Clarke Ave.
66 Claude Clarke Ave.
Telephone Number: 876-952-0889
Neighborhood: Montego Bay
The details, dates, and prices mentioned here were accurate at the time of publication.
Review by Away Copyright © 2010 Away.com all rights reserved.
- Montego Bay, Jamaica Hotel Prices Made Easy
Orbitz.com - Just Orbitz and go!
- Hotel Deals in Montego Bay, Jamaica
Expedia.com - Don't just travel. Travel right!
- Book Now with Cheap Tickets and Save on Montego Bay, Jamaica Hotels!
CheapTickets.com - Just click. You're there.
- Find the best rates for hotels in Montego Bay, Jamaica
Kayak.com - Life's a trip.