- Be the first to Review
Your rating for Philae
Expert Review of Philae
Romance Review of Philae
RomanceExpert Tips & Helpful Hints
- The graffiti adorning the temples of PhilaeCoptic crosses, English and French namesshows the variety of tourists who have ventured up the Nile through the centuries.
- Sound-and-light shows are held at many of Egypt's most important monuments. While the narration veers toward hokum, exploring Philae at night during its show is perhaps the most evocative way to spend an evening in Aswan.
Just behind the original Aswan dam, where Egypt segues gracefully into Nubia, lies Philae, renowned for the Temple of Isis and other lovely ruins. Long one of Egypt's most romantic attractions, the site has evolved over the years: The ruins were (+) More
Just behind the original Aswan dam, where Egypt segues gracefully into Nubia, lies Philae, renowned for the Temple of Isis and other lovely ruins. Long one of Egypt's most romantic attractions, the site has evolved over the years: The ruins were partially flooded when the dam was completed in 1902, causing visitors to explore the fabled temples by rowboat for much of the year when the water was high. In the 1960s, the complex was relocated by UNESCO, stone by stone, to higher ground on nearby Agilkia Island. Today, a short boat trip brings visitors to the honeyed temples of Philae, which thrust magnificently into the blue sky. The Temple of Isis, with its depiction of Isis breastfeeding her childoften associated with the Virgin Maryis heralded as a healing spot. (-) Close
The details, dates, and prices mentioned here were accurate at the time of publication.
Review by Away Copyright © 2010 Away.com all rights reserved.
- Aswan, Egypt Hotel Prices Made Easy
Orbitz.com - Just Orbitz and go!
- Hotel Deals in Aswan, Egypt
Expedia.com - Don't just travel. Travel right!
- Book Now with Cheap Tickets and Save on Aswan, Egypt Hotels!
CheapTickets.com - Just click. You're there.
- Find the best rates for hotels in Aswan, Egypt
Kayak.com - Life's a trip.