- Be the first to Review
Your rating for Basilica di San Pietro (St. Peter's Basilica)
Expert Review of Basilica di San Pietro (St. Peter's Basilica)
Family Review of Basilica di San Pietro (St. Peter's Basilica)
FamilyExpert Tips & Helpful Hints
- There is much to see in Saint Peter's, the Vatican's own cathedral, but for kids the highlight will be climbing up the dome. You can take the elevator part way, but you have to climb the remaining 330 steps to the top. It's worth it, both because kids will like it and because the views over the city are amazing from 435 feet up.
- Also stop to see Michelangelo's wrenchingly beautiful Pieta, though it's behind glass since someone (claiming to be Jesus) damaged it in the 1970s. As you explore, keep kids' interest with interesting facts. For example, did you know that the Vatican is the world's smallest nation? It's just 120 acres, home to about 550 citizens, and it's a theocracy is headed up by the Pope.
- This is a church and strict dress codes are enforced. Knees of both sexes must be covered, no shorts or short skirts, no bare shoulders and no strap tops. Do wear comfortable shoes.
Piazza San Pietro
Piazza San Pietro
Parking: Basilica (including the sacristy and treasury) daily 9am-6pm. Grottoes daily 8am-5pm. Dome Oct-Mar daily 8am-5pm; Apr-Sept 8am-6pm
Price: Basilica (including grottoes) free admission. Guided tour of excavations around St. Peter's tomb 10€ ($16); children under 15 are not admitted. Stairs to the dome 4€ ($6.40); elevator to the dome 5€ ($8); sacristy (w/Historical Museum) free
Telephone Number: 06-69881662 (for information on celebrations)
Transportation: Metro: Ottaviano-San Pietro, and then a long stroll. Bus: 23, 49, or 492
Price Information: Basilica (including grottoes) free admission. Guided tour of excavations around St. Peter's tomb 10€ ($16); children under 15 are not admitted. Stairs to the dome 4€ ($6.40); elevator to the dome 5€ ($8); sacristy (w/Historical Museum) free
The details, dates, and prices mentioned here were accurate at the time of publication.
Review by Away Copyright © 2010 Away.com all rights reserved.
- Vatican City, Holy See Hotel Prices Made Easy
Orbitz.com - Just Orbitz and go!
- Hotel Deals in Vatican City, Holy See
Expedia.com - Don't just travel. Travel right!
- Book Now with Cheap Tickets and Save on Vatican City, Holy See Hotels!
CheapTickets.com - Just click. You're there.
- Find the best rates for hotels in Vatican City, Holy See
Kayak.com - Life's a trip.