- Be the first to Review
Your rating for Bex Salt Mine
Expert Review of Bex Salt Mine
Family Review of Bex Salt Mine
FamilyExpert Tips & Helpful Hints
- This mine in the town of Bex is the only working salt mine open to the public in Switzerland. It's nearly 30 miles in length but only a tiny portion of it is on the public tour. Visitors learn about the history, economic importance, and techniques of salt mining--some techniques dating back to 1684 when the mine was first excavated.
- The tour starts with an audio-visual presentation (English available) set in a reservoir dug in 1826. It covers three centuries of salt mining. There's also a small exhibit. Then a train takes visitors deep into the mine where they embark on a one-hour walking tour. The mine is a constant 62 degrees year-round; warm clothes and comfortable walking shoes are a must.
- Only cash and only Swiss francs are accepted for tours, though credit cards can be used to purchase snacks at a small stand. Kids under age five are free, ages five to 15 get a discount, and there's family pricing, too.
Parking: tours start 9:45am, last tours 3:45pm
Price: Adults CHF 18, Students CHF 16, Children (5-15) CHF 12, Children 4 and under free
Telephone Number: 41 (0)24 463 03 30
Fax: 41 (0)24 463 03 32
Transportation: Bex railway station
Price Information: Adults CHF 18, Students CHF 16, Children (5-15) CHF 12, Children 4 and under free
The details, dates, and prices mentioned here were accurate at the time of publication.
Review by Away Copyright © 2010 Away.com all rights reserved.
- Chesieres, Switzerland Hotel Prices Made Easy
Orbitz.com - Just Orbitz and go!
- Hotel Deals in Chesieres, Switzerland
Expedia.com - Don't just travel. Travel right!
- Book Now with Cheap Tickets and Save on Chesieres, Switzerland Hotels!
CheapTickets.com - Just click. You're there.
- Find the best rates for hotels in Chesieres, Switzerland
Kayak.com - Life's a trip.