- Be the first to Review
Your rating for Lowendenkmal (Lion Monument)
Expert Review of Lowendenkmal (Lion Monument)
Family Review of Lowendenkmal (Lion Monument)
FamilyExpert Tips & Helpful Hints
- Lucerne's powerfully evocative lion was carved in 1821 to commemorate the heroic Swiss Guard.
- American author Mark Twain once called it "the saddest and most moving piece of rock in the world."
- The sculpture of the dying lion specifically honors the members of the Guard who died defending Louis XVI, Marie Antoinette, and their children who were in the Tuileries Palace in Paris during the French Revolution in 1792. More than 700 soldiers died, never knowing that the king and his family had secretly escaped the palace, leaving the Guard on its own.
Telephone Number: 41 (0)41 227 17 17
Fax: 41 (0)41 221 17 20
Transportation: Alpenstrasse or the Lowenstrasse to the Löwenplatz
The details, dates, and prices mentioned here were accurate at the time of publication.
Review by Away Copyright © 2010 Away.com all rights reserved.
- Lucerne, Switzerland Hotel Prices Made Easy
Orbitz.com - Just Orbitz and go!
- Hotel Deals in Lucerne, Switzerland
Expedia.com - Don't just travel. Travel right!
- Book Now with Cheap Tickets and Save on Lucerne, Switzerland Hotels!
CheapTickets.com - Just click. You're there.
- Find the best rates for hotels in Lucerne, Switzerland
Kayak.com - Life's a trip.