This trail is located on the Enoree Ranger District, east of Whitmire. The spring was used to provide water for a nearby plantation, called Orange Hall, in the 1800's. Nothing but scattered bricks of the house remain today.
The name of the spring is derived from its shape - that of a Jew's harp. It was carved from a solid piece of granite by J.E. Sherman in the 1860's. Water from the ground comes into a hole in the center of the circular section. It then drains through a groove that runs from the bowl down toward the creek. The water, which flows at the rate of 3 1/2 gallons per minute, never overflows the sides but keeps the bowl filled at all times. The 6-inch deep bowl is sheltered by another granite slab and is surrounded on three sides by other stones.
Directions: From Whitmire, Travel northeast on US Hwy. 72/121 to State Road 45 (Maybinton Road). Turn right (south) and drive 4.4 miles. Turn right onto Forest Service Road 393 and drive 0.4 miles to Collins Creek Campground.
Distance: 0.2 miles
- Be the first to Review
Sumter National Forest, South Carolina
Review by Wildernet Copyright © 2010 Wildernet.com all rights reserved.
- Greenwood, SC Hotel Prices Made Easy
Orbitz.com - Just Orbitz and go!
- Hotel Deals in Greenwood, SC
Expedia.com - Don't just travel. Travel right!
- Book Now with Cheap Tickets and Save on Greenwood, SC Hotels!
CheapTickets.com - Just click. You're there.
- Find the best rates for hotels in Greenwood, SC
Kayak.com - Life's a trip.