- Be the first to Review
Expert Review of Magnolia Plantation
Family Review of Magnolia Plantation
- If you have little ones, you may want to stop at the Petting Zoo, where whitetail deer and pygmy goats come close enough for a stroke, scratch, or snack.
- Many of the attractions are priced separately, so make sure you really have time to do it all before you buy an all-inclusive pass.
- Don't have much time to spend? Skip the house tour. You get more value for your money exploring the outdoors.
The site offers several ways to experience the history, architecture, and natural beauty of the plantation. The highlight for most visitors is a stroll through the beautiful and extensive gardens—open since 1870, they're the oldest public gardens in America, and some sections have been around for over 325 years.
You won't want to miss the Audubon Swamp Garden, a mysterious world of black water, secretive creatures, trees growing from marshy waters, and nesting birds. Feet getting tired? There's a lot of ground to cover—some 600 acres of gardens and other landscapes—so climb aboard the Nature Train, where you'll see the plantation's wetlands, forests, marshes, and lakes from the tram and with the help of naturalist guides, perhaps spot alligators, egrets, heron, and turtles.
You can also take a tour of the Drayton family home, complete with family heirlooms, early American furniture and antiques, as guides paint a picture of life in the 19th century and tell you about the history of the Drayton family.(-) Close
Romance Review of Magnolia Plantation
- The gardens are lovely throughout the year, with different plants flowering most months, but the peak time for azalea bloom is in March and April.
- The entrance price includes admission to the gardens, but there are extra fees to tour the house, swamp, petting zoo, and nature ride. The main attraction here is the garden area, where bridges gracefully arch over quiet ponds and many visitors are content spending their time walking around the grounds and enjoying the spectacular landscape.
3550 Ashley River Road
Charleston, South Carolina 29414
Review by Away Copyright © 2010 Away.com all rights reserved.
- North Charleston, SC Hotel Prices Made Easy
Orbitz.com - Just Orbitz and go!
- Hotel Deals in North Charleston, SC
Expedia.com - Don't just travel. Travel right!
- Book Now with Cheap Tickets and Save on North Charleston, SC Hotels!
CheapTickets.com - Just click. You're there.
- Find the best rates for hotels in North Charleston, SC
Kayak.com - Life's a trip.