Block Island features 17 miles of pristine beaches, protected by lighthouses and spectacular bluffs, and surrounded by rolling roads and winding paths. Many of the beaches are isolated and nearly untouched.
Two-and-a-half miles of some of New England's finest beachfront can be found at Crescent Beach. Crescent Beach stretches along the island's east coast from Old Harbor (where the ferries dock) to Clay Head, and connects with two other fine beaches, Scotch and Mansion beaches, to the north.
Block Island has been called the "Bermuda of the North," so it is only fitting that most visitors choose bicycles or mopeds as their primary form of island transportation. Many beachgoers find it easy to walk straight to the beach from the ferry landing, or rent a bike or moped to explore the beach further out.
Admission to Crescent Beach is free. The Frederick J.Benson Town Beach, or just "Town Beach," has a concession stand selling hot dogs, chicken sandwiches, ice cream, and candy, and other refreshments. Visitors may also rent chairs, cabanas, umbrellas, and boogie boards. There are lifeguards, showers, and bathroom facilities as well.
- Be the first to Review
Review of Block Island Beaches
Active and Adventure Review of Block Island Beaches
- Crescent Beach, Town Beach, or whatever you want to call it, is actually a series of sections suitable for different tastes. The southern section, nearest Old Harbor, is informally called Kid Beach for its wide sandy swath and shallow, calm waters. Further north, the surf picks up, and the clientele's age range increases, too.
- Sign up for kiteboarding lessons with Diamondblue Kiteboarding (www.diamondbluekiteboarding.net), which runs lessons off a beach on the island's donut-hole-shaped central lagoon. Winds are steady and the waves are low, making this the ideal spot at which to pick up the sport.
- Rent a bike and pedal to the western and northern parts of the island for more secluded stretches of sand, including Charlestown and Mansion beaches.
c/o Block Island Chamber of Commerce, Old Harbor Ferry
Block Island, Rhode Island 02807
Review by Away Copyright © 2010 Away.com all rights reserved.
- Block Island, RI Hotel Prices Made Easy
Orbitz.com - Just Orbitz and go!
- Hotel Deals in Block Island, RI
Expedia.com - Don't just travel. Travel right!
- Book Now with Cheap Tickets and Save on Block Island, RI Hotels!
CheapTickets.com - Just click. You're there.
- Find the best rates for hotels in Block Island, RI
Kayak.com - Life's a trip.