- Be the first to Review
Your rating for Kalaupapa National Historical Park
Expert Review of Kalaupapa National Historical Park
Beach Review of Kalaupapa National Historical Park
BeachExpert Tips & Helpful Hints
- This is Molokai's most famous tourist destination, known by many people as the leper colony where Hawaiians with the affliction were isolated from 1866 to 1969. Hansen's disease is the name used today, and there are still a few patients/residents living here who were sent to Kalaupapa long ago.
- You cannot tour the park on your own. You must sign up for a guided tour and, truthfully, you would want to anyway. The guides know all of the stories that bring this place to lifeboth heartbreaking and inspiring. No one under age 16 is allowed here at all.
- The park is extremely isolated, surrounded on three sides by pounding surf and steep cliffs at the back. There are no roads in or out. You can fly in or hike down the 1,664-foot cliff to join a tour, but try taking the Molokai Mule Ride insteadit's an experience.
Active and Adventure Review of Kalaupapa National Historical Park
Active and AdventureExpert Tips & Helpful Hints
- State law requires all individuals to secure a permit to enter from the State Department of Health prior to visiting Kalaupapa. Damien Tours (808-567-6171) arranges for permits for individuals booking with them. If you are not booked with Damien Tours you must contact the Department of Health (808-567-6924 ) for a permit.
Molokai, Hawaii 96742
Molokai, Hawaii 96742
Parking: Mon-Sat by reservation only
Telephone Number: +1 808 567 6802 / +1 808 567 6613 (Preserve Contact)
Fax: +1 808 567 6729
Neighborhood: North Shore
The details, dates, and prices mentioned here were accurate at the time of publication.
Review by Away Copyright © 2010 Away.com all rights reserved.
- Kaunakakai, HI Hotel Prices Made Easy
Orbitz.com - Just Orbitz and go!
- Hotel Deals in Kaunakakai, HI
Expedia.com - Don't just travel. Travel right!
- Book Now with Cheap Tickets and Save on Kaunakakai, HI Hotels!
CheapTickets.com - Just click. You're there.
- Find the best rates for hotels in Kaunakakai, HI
Kayak.com - Life's a trip.