The Laurel Highlands Trail extends for 70 miles from the 1,000-foot-deep Conemaugh Gorge near Johnstown to the rugged and picturesque Youghiogheny River Gorge at Ohiopyle State Park east of Uniontown. There are eight overnight areas, each which contains five shelters, tent pads, two comfort stations, and a water source. These overnight areas are not located directly on the trail, but are set back off the trail to retain a wilderness atmosphere. Each shelter is large enough to accommodate six people. The overnight areas are situated eight to ten miles apart on the trail. Call for reservations, which are required and have a fee.
The Laurel Highlands trail is blazed every 100 feet with yellow paint blazes. Large wood signs mark access points. There are mileage monuments on the trail every mile.
- Be the first to Review
Review of Laurel Highlands National Scenic Trail
Active and Adventure Review of Laurel Highlands National Scenic Trail
- Reservations are required for all overnight backpacking along this trail.
- Write for a copy of "A Hiker's Guide to the Laurel Highlands Trail," available from the Pennsylvania Chapter of the Sierra Club at: P.O. Box 8241, Pittsburgh, PA 15217. This guide features maps, trail info, and planning tips.
- Pack along plenty of insect repellent, sunscreen, and poison-ivy ointment.
c/o Laurel Ridge State Park, 1117 Jim Mountain Road
Rockwood, Pennsylvania 15557-8703
Review by Away Copyright © 2010 Away.com all rights reserved.
- Ohiopyle, PA Hotel Prices Made Easy
Orbitz.com - Just Orbitz and go!
- Hotel Deals in Ohiopyle, PA
Expedia.com - Don't just travel. Travel right!
- Book Now with Cheap Tickets and Save on Ohiopyle, PA Hotels!
CheapTickets.com - Just click. You're there.
- Find the best rates for hotels in Ohiopyle, PA
Kayak.com - Life's a trip.