As one of Florida's southernmost parks, this geographical distinction is responsible for the natural environment found nowhere else in the continental United States. The park has several biological communities and, unlike most of the Florida Keys, a beautiful sandy beach along both the Atlantic and Florida Bay.
Snorkeling, swimming, fishing, camping (80 sites), bayside cabins (6) and access to two boat ramps make Bahia Honda an outstanding recreational opportunity. Snorkeling is a favorite and scuba diving is permitted but not recommended in the shallow waters. Wind surfing is popular as well. Special events include Earth Day (April), Hawk Watch (October), and year-round ranger-led tours.
Bahia Honda State Park is located in southeast Florida 12 miles south of Marathon in the Florida Keys along U.S. Highway 1.
Southern Florida lies within a subtropical climate. It is usually hot and humid in the summer with brief afternoon thundershowers. It is not unusual for temperatures to exceed 90 degrees Fahrenheit with averages reaching above 83 degrees Fahrenheit (above 29 Celsius). Winters are mild and dry with temperatures averaging above 64 degrees Fahrenheit (above 18 Celsius). The average precipitation for the southeast area is more than 60 inches per year. The powerful rays of the sun make it a good idea to wear hats and sunglasses along with using a SPF-15 (or above) sunscreen when planning outdoor activities.
36850 Overseas Hwy.
Big Pine Key, FL 33043
- Be the first to Review
Expert Review of Bahia Honda State Park
Romance Review of Bahia Honda State Park
- The nearby old Bahia Honda Bridge offers a gorgeous overlook across the keys and the sparkling turquoise ocean. If you're there on the right evening, sunset from the bridge can be unforgettable.
- Rent kayaks from the concession stand or from nearby Big Pine Adventures and paddle out across the clear water for a special experience of the park.
Big Pine Key
Mile Marker 37.5
Key West, Florida 33043
Review by Wildernet Copyright © 2010 Wildernet.com all rights reserved.
- Key West, FL Hotel Prices Made Easy
Orbitz.com - Just Orbitz and go!
- Hotel Deals in Key West, FL
Expedia.com - Don't just travel. Travel right!
- Book Now with Cheap Tickets and Save on Key West, FL Hotels!
CheapTickets.com - Just click. You're there.
- Find the best rates for hotels in Key West, FL
Kayak.com - Life's a trip.