- Be the first to Review
Your rating for Cabrits National Park
Expert Review of Cabrits National Park
Parks and Outdoors Review of Cabrits National Park
Parks and OutdoorsExpert Tips & Helpful Hints
- Less than 50 percent of Cabrits National Park is above water, so bring snorkeling equipment to explore offshore. Cabrits Dive Centre offers guided snorkeling and diving trips.
- The park's visitors center has a small museum with information about the fort and nature within the preserve, and a friendly staff offers suggestions on hiking and viewing the ruins.
- Leave your car in the lot near the cruise-ship terminal, and expect plenty of company in the park if a passenger ship is in port.
Cabrits National Park is a twin-peaked peninsula that juts between two bays on the island's northwest coast, offering easy hikes along trails through the partially restored ruins of Fort Shirley, an 18th-century British garrison. The peaks are the (+) More
Cabrits National Park is a twin-peaked peninsula that juts between two bays on the island's northwest coast, offering easy hikes along trails through the partially restored ruins of Fort Shirley, an 18th-century British garrison. The peaks are the remains of long-extinct volcanoes, and a trail leads from the back of the fort up 560-foot (171-meter) West Cabrit to a lookout point over Douglas and Prince Rupert bays. Plan to spend most of the day in the park, though the hike up the hill takes only a half hour. Fort Shirley was an impressive military base, and the stone ruins are well mapped and worthy of leisurely exploration. In addition to the peninsula, the 1,313-acre (525-hectare) park protects the adjacent coastal areas, which include the island's largest swamp, a volcanic-sand beach, and offshore coral reefs. (-) Close
The details, dates, and prices mentioned here were accurate at the time of publication.
Review by Away Copyright © 2010 Away.com all rights reserved.
- Dominica, Dominica Hotel Prices Made Easy
Orbitz.com - Just Orbitz and go!
- Hotel Deals in Dominica, Dominica
Expedia.com - Don't just travel. Travel right!
- Book Now with Cheap Tickets and Save on Dominica, Dominica Hotels!
CheapTickets.com - Just click. You're there.
- Find the best rates for hotels in Dominica, Dominica
Kayak.com - Life's a trip.