- Be the first to Review
Your rating for Carlisle Castle
Expert Review of Carlisle Castle
Family Review of Carlisle Castle
FamilyExpert Tips & Helpful Hints
- The castle, originally built in 1092, was the scene of battles, sieges, imprisonment, and more. Just ten miles from the Scottish border, much of its history details struggles between the English and the Scots. Bonnie Prince Charlie captured the castle at one point, and Mary Queen of Scots was imprisoned here. Ask about the famous (and gruesome) "Licking Stones."
- Guided tours are available at peak times for a modest fee.
- The site includes not just the castle but also the King's Own Royal Border Regiment Museum and Carlisle Roman Dig where findings from recent excavations are displayed. An average visit is about 1 1/2 hours.
Parking: 9.30am - 5pm Apr-Sep; 10am-4pm Oct-Mar
Price: Adults £4.10, Children £2.10
Telephone Number: 44 01228 591922
Price Information: Adults £4.10, Children £2.10
The details, dates, and prices mentioned here were accurate at the time of publication.
Review by Away Copyright © 2010 Away.com all rights reserved.
- Lake District, United Kingdom Hotel Prices Made Easy
Orbitz.com - Just Orbitz and go!
- Hotel Deals in Lake District, United Kingdom
Expedia.com - Don't just travel. Travel right!
- Book Now with Cheap Tickets and Save on Lake District, United Kingdom Hotels!
CheapTickets.com - Just click. You're there.
- Find the best rates for hotels in Lake District, United Kingdom
Kayak.com - Life's a trip.