- Be the first to Review
Your rating for Xi'an Chengqiang (City Wall)
Expert Review of Xi'an Chengqiang (City Wall)
Family Review of Xi'an Chengqiang (City Wall)
FamilyExpert Tips & Helpful Hints
- If you want to explore the walls by bike, you must rent one; privately owned bicycles (or those rented elsewhere in the city) are not allowed.
- Families who want to take time to really see the city from this lofty vantage point should make sure they are armed with plenty of snacks and drinks, as you can literally spend hours on the old city walls.
- To walk the entire 14 kilometers with little ones in tow, allow about four hours.
Dating from 1370, when they were constructed of compacted earth, Xi'an's formidable defensive walls are the most impressive sight in the city itself. They are remarkable both for their size—they stand 12 meters high, are up to 18 meters thick, (+) More
Dating from 1370, when they were constructed of compacted earth, Xi'an's formidable defensive walls are the most impressive sight in the city itself. They are remarkable both for their size—they stand 12 meters high, are up to 18 meters thick, and boast a rectangular perimeter of almost 14 kilometers—and the fact that they are still standing at all. What you see today took shape in the latter half of the 16th century, when the old mud walls were replaced with bricks. In terms of fortifications, the walls boast 98 evenly spaced ramparts, each with a sentry building. The outer side of the wall also has thousands of battlements. Bearing in mind their length, many family visitors choose to explore the walls from the electric shuttle. A more fun option for older children is to tour the walls on a rented bicycle. (-) Close
Parking: Apr-Oct 8am-9:30pm; Nov-Mar 8am-6pm
Price: Admission ¥40 ($5.20/£2.60)
Price Information: Admission ¥40 ($5.20/£2.60)
The details, dates, and prices mentioned here were accurate at the time of publication.
Review by Away Copyright © 2010 Away.com all rights reserved.
- Xi'an, China Hotel Prices Made Easy
Orbitz.com - Just Orbitz and go!
- Hotel Deals in Xi'an, China
Expedia.com - Don't just travel. Travel right!
- Book Now with Cheap Tickets and Save on Xi'an, China Hotels!
CheapTickets.com - Just click. You're there.
- Find the best rates for hotels in Xi'an, China
Kayak.com - Life's a trip.