- Be the first to Review
Your rating for Malaspina Glacier
Expert Review of Malaspina Glacier
Active and Adventure Review of Malaspina Glacier
Active and AdventureExpert Tips & Helpful Hints
- The Malaspina Glacier is so large that it can only be seen in its entirety from space.
- Malaspina Glacier is actually a compound glacier, formed by the merger of several valley glaciers.
- You can take a cruise ship to view Malaspina Glacier up-close.
Beach Review of Malaspina Glacier
BeachExpert Tips & Helpful Hints
- Found within the boundaries of Wrangell-St. Elias National Park & Preserve, Malaspina is North America's largest piedmont glacier, meaning it's formed at the base of a mountain rather than enclosed by a valley. It is shaped by the merger of several valley glaciers, primarily Agassiz and Seward.
- The glacier is so large that it can only be seen in its entirety from space. It covers an area bigger than Rhode Island (check out aerial shots online).
- In 1969 the glacier was named a National Natural Landmark. One of the best ways to see it (other than from space) is on a flightseeing excursion. The park service headquarters in Yakutat can give you information on companies that offer flightseeing trips.
Telephone Number: (907) 822-5234
The details, dates, and prices mentioned here were accurate at the time of publication.
Review by Away Copyright © 2010 Away.com all rights reserved.
- Yakutat, AK Hotel Prices Made Easy
Orbitz.com - Just Orbitz and go!
- Hotel Deals in Yakutat, AK
Expedia.com - Don't just travel. Travel right!
- Book Now with Cheap Tickets and Save on Yakutat, AK Hotels!
CheapTickets.com - Just click. You're there.
- Find the best rates for hotels in Yakutat, AK
Kayak.com - Life's a trip.