- Be the first to Review
Expert Review of The Historic French Market
Family Review of The Historic French Market
- If you aren't afraid to haggle, try bargaining for your flea-market finds. You may be able to get an even better deal.
- Try not to go during the hottest part of the day. Many of the shops are open-air and not air-conditioned.
A market that’s been on the same site for over two centuries? Now that’s a history lesson. New Orleans’ historic French Market has been in operation since 1791, but it’s definitely come far beyond its roots as a Native American trading post. The(+) More
A market that’s been on the same site for over two centuries? Now that’s a history lesson. New Orleans’ historic French Market has been in operation since 1791, but it’s definitely come far beyond its roots as a Native American trading post. The Market blossomed after the Louisiana Purchase, when it was opened to international ships and traders and it offered a rich variety of goods from all over the globe.
Over the decades the market has gone through many changes, but it’s maintained its vibrancy and diversity. Now a major tourist destination, the French Market boasts live music, restaurants serving French, Creole, Cajun, and other southern specialties, and shops selling arts and crafts, toys, confections, and gifts. Search for treasures at the flea market, eat a traditional New Orleans-style Po Boy, and don’t forget to pick up some pralines.(-) Close
On Decatur St., toward Esplanade Ave. from Jackson Sq
New Orleans, Louisiana
Review by Away Copyright © 2010 Away.com all rights reserved.
- New Orleans, LA Hotel Prices Made Easy
Orbitz.com - Just Orbitz and go!
- Hotel Deals in New Orleans, LA
Expedia.com - Don't just travel. Travel right!
- Book Now with Cheap Tickets and Save on New Orleans, LA Hotels!
CheapTickets.com - Just click. You're there.
- Find the best rates for hotels in New Orleans, LA
Kayak.com - Life's a trip.